Upstream Process Development Scientist
Talent International is partnered with an exciting protein engineering firm located in San Carlos. We are seeing talented upstream development leaders for tech transfer and scale up from pilot to industrial scales with CMO’s.
The Process Development Scientist will be responsible for:
- Development of fermentation and downstream recovery processes for recombinant proteins including enzymes expressed in microbial hosts.
- Development of fermentation processes using scale down models to predict process performance at manufacturing scale.
- Development of unit operations at the bench and pilot-scale (10-100L) such as, centrifugation homogenization, micro filtration, ultrafiltration and depth filtration.
- Leading process development, optimization, characterization, scale-up and tech transfer to contract manufacturing.
- Providing troubleshooting support to commercial manufacturing operations.
- Leading multidisciplinary team, providing overall project direction, and communicating results and challenges to key stakeholders.
- Supervising technical support staff.
- Identifying and evaluating new technologies for fermentation and recovery processes.
- Strong knowledge of microbial systems, physiology and cellular metabolism, coupled with practical knowledge of process engineering and plant operations
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience with fermentation processes and downstream processing unit operations such as centrifugation, homogenization, ultrafiltration, sterile filtration, lyophilization etc.
- Sound understanding of basic protein biochemistry and recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts.
- Experience in enzyme activity, protein characterization, and protein determination.
- Experimental design and data analysis capabilities including Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Understanding of engineering issues involved in scale up and possesses both practical and analytical skills to implement relevant scale down models.
- Experience with lyophilization is a plus.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs.
- Must be motivated and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, documentation, organization, good record keeping, writing reports and SOPs.
- Able to work effectively in cross functional teams to solve manufacturing problems or implement improved procedures.
- Mentor and supervise staff as well as work effectively with management teams.
- Some travel to manufacturing sites will be required