A fast-growing 40+ person strong start up is looking for a hands-on technical leader to help mentor and grow our Manhattan team. Bring your experience developing and delivering SaaS systems to a group of driven, eager people ready for a strong leader to join their team. If you enjoy mixing up your hands on coding and technical leadership, read on!
How you’ll make an impact:
- Provide hands-on technical leadership within the product development squads — ensuring the team keeps building features at fast speed and excellent quality.
- Develop and deploy world-class products and features — alongside leading, you’ll also directly contribute to development workstreams. We expect you to develop and review code on a regular basis.
- Help our developers be remarkably successful by holding regular one on ones, unblocking projects, and solving technical problems that may arise. You will also have some administrative and management responsibilities such as approving time off, annual goal setting and conducting semi-annual performance evaluations.
- Coordinate workstreams with product managers, designers, UX researchers, and engineers on the squads to ensure we’re delivering timely value to our customers following our roadmap.
- Help us hire incredible engineers and scale the team to keep our products and company growing.
- Foster a culture of iterating quickly with continuous deployment, monitoring, and constant improvement. We believe that constant progress and testing is better than waiting for perfection.
- Share your knowledge across the team and encourage others to do the same — through documentation, presentations, lunch & learns, live demos, blog posts, etc.
What we’re looking for:
- Experienced: You have relevant software engineering experience (specifically full-stack web development) building products while architecting simple solutions to complex problems and have led development teams through multiple product life cycles.
- Technical: You have the technical depth to not only define a high-level architecture but are comfortable diving in as a contributor with the same level of expertise as the developers on the team. (check out our tech stack below to see if we’re interesting to you!)
- Coaching and coachable: You enjoy coaching and teaching a team. At the same time, you also absorb data and feedback easily to improve and adapt quickly. You default to teaching people how to learn on their own, rather than telling them what to do.
- Flexible: You focus on using the best tool for the job without bias, embrace the full-stack infrastructure, and aren’t afraid to switch between languages/platforms as needed (even if it means learning them).
- Agile: You’re comfortable working in an agile development environment, where requirements and goals might rapidly evolve as we learn from our users.
- Embracing cross-team collaboration: You want to be on a team that’s radically collaborative, free of silos, where engineers work in partnership with team members from across the company (product, design, customer success, marketing).
- Domain knowledge: You have strong opinions — well informed, but loosely held — on languages, platforms, and workflow tools.
- You love data.
- Problem-solving: You have exceptional analytical skills, are an out-of-the-box thinker, and are comfortable with quickly learning, evaluating, and deploying new technologies -- even in ambiguous situations.
- Constant learning: You’re always learning patterns, practices, and tools to improve your and the team’s development experience -- including being involved in the dev community. You may have side projects too.
- Versatile: You’re comfortable writing front-end components, unit-testing a back-end endpoint or anything in between.
Our technology stack:
You’ll need to have production experience with at least some of our technologies, frameworks, and languages. Or at a minimum -- similar ones that will help you learn and start contributing quickly.
- Back-end: PHP 7, Laravel, Beanstalk, Memcached
- Testing: PhpUnit, Tape, Enzyme
- Database: MariaDB, TokuDB
- Version Control: GitHub
- CICD: CircleCI
- Dev Tools: Docker local environment, Rust CLI productivity tools
- IDEs: VSCode, PHPStorm
- DevOps: ELK (ElasticSearch, LogStash, Kibana), New Relic, Indicative Analytics
- Hosting: Rackspace (dedicated + virtual servers + CDN), AWS (cloud instances + CDN)
- Agile Communication: Clubhouse, Slack, and Github
More about us:
- We are all owners (literally): We take responsibility, don’t pass blame, and don’t rest until the problem is solved.
- We're growing quickly – roughly doubling year on year – and we're highly profitable
- We set audacious goals and tackle challenges daily, which leaves no room for ego or a sense of entitlement.
- We’re multi-office: Most of our team members work in our headquarters in Oklahoma City, while many of us call our New York City office home, and a few of us work remotely.
- We’re radically transparent: Sharing new ideas and plans, giving feedback, and making everyone feel welcome in every conversation.
- Our growing team blends deep early-stage DNA (team + alumni have started 17 companies, and helped build 18 other startups) with industry expertise born out of leading names in tech and marketing such as Google, YouTube, AOL, AWeber, a la mode, BigWing Interactive, Paycom, Apple, Yodle and PCS.
- We believe our industry’s lack of diversity hurts us all and work hard to foster a company culture that’s inclusive and appreciative of everyone’s talent, authenticity, and ideas — regardless of our differences.
Note: Please don’t talk yourself out of applying if you don’t “check all the boxes.” We support each other’s growth and celebrate our differences. If you’re passionate about leading and mentoring technical teams, feel free to apply. We’d love to hear from you!